Treasure Island

 "The Squire and the Doctor have asked me to write all I remember of Treasure Island-- from the beginning to the end. I am to put everything, expect where the island is located, for there is still treasure there, not yet found." (p. 1 )

I read "Treasure Island" written by Robert Lois Stevenson. I read the adventures of Tom and Huck the past three weeks, and for this week, I read the adventures of Jim! The main character, young Jim Hawkins, helps his parents run Admiral Benbow, an inn near Bristol, England. One day  Billy Bones appears and takes a room. After being visited by a former mate named Black Dog, Billy suffers a stroke. Later, while drinking rum, he tells Jim that he is a pirate and that he has a treasure map.  After that, Jim’s ailing father dies. A blind beggar later revealed to be the pirate Pew, subsequently arrives and puts something in Bones’ hand. After Pew leaves, Billy has a fatal stroke. A group of pirates led by Pew descends on the inn, but they are soon scared off by the sound of approaching horses; Pew is trampled to death. Believing that the pirates were searching for the packet, Jim seeks out Dr. Livesey, who is with Squire Trelawny. The packet is revealed to contain a treasure map, and the three decide to mount an expedition to Skeleton Island to find the hidden riches. However, they are fooled into hiring some of Billy’s former shipmates, including the leader of the pirates, Long Jon Silver. 
During the voyage, Jim overhears Silver and his men planning to steal the treasure once it is found and to kill all of the non-pirates. What follows is a tale of mutiny, treachery, swordfights, and murder as Jim, Dr. Livesey, and the squire are forced to live by their wits to survive against ruthless enemies. They are aided by Captain Smollet and by Ben Gunn, a pirate marooned on Skeleton Island. Jim and the others ultimately prevail over the pirates and return home with the treasure. Silver escapes with some of the money. Nobody knows where Silver went after that...

I think Jim is brave that he cut the rope of the anchor to get back the ship. If I have to choose one of the three adventures, I choose Huckleberry Finn because I like the depictions that Huck is facing discrimination. What is the common thing of the three boys is that they are brave to challenge what they face. Although my adventures are not as dramatic as theirs, I would like to keep my mind that I only live once.

Louis, R. (1950). Treasure Island. Ashland. OH: Bendon Publishing. 
Treasure Island: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Louis Stevenson, Louis Rhead, Frank  E. Schoonover: Books

コメント

人気の投稿